Sunday, July 20, 2008

sushi class

Tony and I took a sushi making class at the Cambridge School of Culinary Arts on Friday night. I had taken two French cooking classes there and wanted him to see what it was like -- plus we LOVE sushi -- so I convinced him to take the class with me. It was a lot more stressful than he thought it would be, but we still managed to have a fun time learning various things.

Our instructor, Chef Hong, taught us about shopping for sushi grade fish, how to roll a couple of different ways, about the various filling options, and -- most importantly -- how to make sushi rice. We all did the prep work of cutting up vegetables, frying the tempura pieces, and prepping the dessert stuff in groups of two. Tony and I made the components for the dessert pieces -- mango with coconut rice and chocolate nigiri -- plus made the sushi rice. Then we cleaned up our boards and all learned how to make rolls at the same time. We could use any filling we wanted to which was really cool since I was a little bit worried that I wouldn't be able to eat much due to my food allergies. We will totally do this at home some time!

Here's a video of Chef Hong seasoning the rice that Tony and I [nervously] made:



And here's a video of Chef Hong assisting Tony-san with his rolling techniques (sorry for my little comments in the background - LOL):



Anyway, if you're in this area, I highly recommend taking a cooking class at the Cambridge School of Culinary Arts some time. It's a lot of fun and you learn a lot while making yummy food and meeting interesting people. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin