Thursday, July 31, 2008

keepin' it simple

One of the best ways I've managed to "cope" with food allergies is to cook things I can eat in different ways. What better specimen to use as an example than chicken. I mean, there are so many ways you can cook chicken these days. One of my favorite ways -- yes, despite the hot, humid, summer weather we are going through lately, call me nutty -- is by simply roasting it. All I do is throw it on a baking sheet, drizzle some olive oil on top, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then put it in a 450 oven for an hour. Yummy every time.

I bought some gnocchi at the Salumeria Italiana a couple of weeks ago (keeps well in the freezer until you need it by the way). I also bought a beautiful potted basil plant from Andy's Flowers in Somerville a couple of weeks ago that keeps blooming and blooming despite how many leaves I pluck off it. I made an olive oil and basil paste in our little Magic Bullet blender device (<-- seriously one of the best buys out there if you like to cook) with some garlic, parmesan, and romano cheeses. Put it all together and you have yourself a delicious (and rather healthy?) dinner. Enjoy!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin